1. Where is the Pilgrim House Welcome Center?
Pilgrim House is located in the historic center of Santiago de Compostela, at Rúa Nova 19.
2. Do you have beds? Can I reserve a bed for a night?
The long-term vision of our association, Terra Nova, is to eventually offer accommodations, but the welcome center will not have beds. If you need help finding accommodations see a list of recommended hostels and albergues in Santiago on our Resources page.
3. Is Pilgrim House just for Americans and/or English-speakers?
Pilgrim House is for pilgrims of all nationalities and languages. All pilgrims with a pilgrim’s credential are welcome to use our facilities. Moreover, members of our staff speak English, Spanish, some German, and some Chinese.
We have no formal connection to the Pilgrim’s Office, but we know several staff members and have the highest respect for them.
4. Are you connected to the Pilgrim’s Office?
5. What brought you here?
Like many of you, we love traveling, backpacking, and hiking. Also like many of you, we’ve searched for purpose and wondered about life. With Pilgrim House, we have a place to welcome in and celebrate fellow pilgrims, provide services, and keep the conversation going about the deeper issues in life.
Our mission is three-fold:
1. To help meet the practical needs of pilgrims.
2. To create spaces where pilgrims can gather together and share stories, maintaining that strong sense of community that forms along the Camino.
3. To provide places where pilgrims can reflect on their journeys. We welcome pilgrims of all faith backgrounds, and for those who are spiritually seeking we will encourage them to look for answers in a historical faith rooted in the person of Jesus.
We work for International Teams, a non-profit organization that seeks to reflect Jesus’s love, compassion, and justice in all it does. Here in Spain, we’ve partnered with Iglesia Vida Nueva to form a new non-profit organization called Terra Nova. Terra Nova’s mission is to serve, care for, and celebrate the pilgrims of the Camino de Santiago, and Pilgrim House is Terra Nova’s first project.
6. Are you religiously affiliated?
All donations are gratefully accepted and will help us serve future pilgrims. Look for the donation boxes in Pilgrim House if you’d like to give while you’re in Santiago, or give a gift through International Teams.